The City of Garden City has launched a new customer service tool, My GCKS, a text messaging service that lets residents quickly and easily connect with the City 24/7 without the need to download an app.
Launced in partnership with Citibot, the leading provider of interactive chat solutions for local government, My GCKS grew from feedback from public surveys in August of 2021 in which residents indicated support for using a texting option if it were available.
With that information, Staff moved forward with the best text messaging options to fit the needs of the residents and the City.
“My GCKS provides another avenue for the City to listen to its residents. We want to hear their feedback, questions, and messages,” Communications Manager Jamie Stewart said. “We appreciate residents participating in our survey last year, and we are excited to deliver this text messaging service as a result.”
With My GCKS, Garden City residents can get answers to questions, find information on various city services, submit service requests, send a message to staff, or sign up for text message notifications.
The platform was developed with the latest AI-driven chatbot technology, allowing the City to automate and scale its customer service efforts to help with the day-to-day needs of both staff and residents.
To start a conversation via text message, residents can text “Hello” to (855) 955-GCKS (4257). My GCKS immediately responds with a short greeting explaining the ways residents can use the service and a link to sign up for text message notifications.
The following text message notifications are available:
- Utility Disruptions – power outages, water main breaks, and water boil advisories.
- Road Construction / Maintenance – Scheduled or unscheduled road projects that will affect the resident’s commute.
- Emergency Alerts –weather-related events, brush/wildfires, etc.
- City Manager’s Office –special meetings, agenda packets, and advisory board openings.
- City News –fall/spring cleanup dates, CIP information, Citizens Academy information, water and tree rebate programs, and building/facility closures.
If a Garden City resident needs assistance or help from City staff at any time during the interaction, they can send in a message to My GCKS, and the appropriate staff member will follow up with them.