At its June 6 meeting, the Garden City Schools Board of Education appointed Randy Ralston, a Captain with the Garden City Police Department, to fill a vacancy on the Board.
Several applications were received for the position, which came open in January when Janene Radke resigned. Applicants included Lara Bors, Andrew Carlson, Andy Fahrmeier, Nathaniel Haeck, Mark Johnson, Isidro Marino, and Ralston.
In other business during the meeting, the Board:
- Discussed Capturing Kids Hearts, which equips teachers, coaches, administrators, and district leaders to implement a transformational processes to improve academic performance. Bernadine Sitts Intermediate Center and Buffalo Jones Elementary School will pilot the program for the 2022-23 school year.
- Voted against the Anti-Bullying Plan for the district, as presented.
- Approved a 12-piece fitness course installation at Bernadine Sitts Intermediate Center in the amount of $13,989
- Approved district-wide Gym bleacher inspection and repair in the amount of $81,290
- Approved Nutrition Services – 5 hot boxes, 1 gas convection oven, 1 steamer, 4 heavy duty carts and 1 large hot box from Douglas Equipment in the amount of $33,033.76 and to accept the bid from Central Restaurant Supply in the amount of $9,074.00 for a total of $42,107.76
- Approved the Child Nutrition Program Procurement Plan for the 2022-2023
- Approved the KSDE Kansas Parents as Teachers Program Grant Award in the amount of $219,850.00
- Approved the Substitute Teacher Handbook
- Approved a Student Services Cooperative Agreement between Garden City Community College and the district
- Approved an Automotive Technology Cooperative Agreement between Garden City Community College and the district
- Approved a Carpentry Program Cooperative Agreement between Garden City Community College and the district
- Approved a Cosmetology Program Cooperative Agreement between Garden City Community College and the district
The Board held an executive session for personnel matters for non-elected personnel. There was no binding action taken after the Board exited the executive session.
The next meeting of the Board of Education will be 5:30 p.m.Thursday, June 23, in the Board Room at the Educational Support Center, 1205 Fleming Street.
The Board of Education meeting can be viewed on the USD 457 YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usd457.