During its May 10 meeting, the Garden City Community College Board of Trustees approved a renewal of a digital textbook contract and a remodel of the men’s basketball locker room.
The Board voted to renew a three-year contract with Cengage for digital textbooks, for an annual rate of $184,093 for years one and two, followed by an annual rate of $204,323 in year three. These costs are covered through student fees.
GCCC was one of the first adopters nationally to partner with Cengage to provide e-texts embedded into the Canvas Learning Management system.
The current contract, which has a projected overall saving to students of $1,205,000 since June of 2020, was coming to end.
The Board approved a bid from Benitez Construction for renovation and remodel of the men’s basketball locker room at $91,000 and the purchase of lockers from All Wood Locker at $19,262. The $110,262 total will be funded from capital outlay.
The GCCC men’s basketball locker rooms have not been renovated in over 25 years. The remodel includes updating the showers into individual stalls, replacing the flooring, and removing the old lockers.
In other business:
- The Board approved the 2022 COP financing resolution in the principal amount of $5.1 million after reviewing the A+ rating call received by GCCC. The rating call reviews the stability of the institution, fiscal security, outlook in the community, and overall risk factors regarding the proposed financing.
- The Board approved a bid of $62,485 from Davis Electric of Cimarron for the electrical installation needed for the new video board at the Broncbuster Athletic Complex. The electrical project will connect from the concession stand location and be run to the videoboard placed at the south end of the complex.
- The Board approved a bid for a dishwasher system in the GCCC cafeteria from Tri/Hockenbergs of Kansas City for $58,249.24, and installation by Hobart Sales and Service of Hays for $6,500 for a total cost of $64,749.24, to be paid for using COP series 2021B.
- The Board held two executive sessions and no action was taken.
- The Board agreed to a change in the monthly board meeting date from the second Tuesday monthly to the third Tuesday monthly, beginning July 2022. This change is due to a delay in the timing of the monthly financials and will allow the Board to receive the full board packet earlier and have more time to review it before each meeting.
The next meeting of the Board of Trustees is 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 14 in the Endowment Room at the Beth Tedrow Student Center.