For those that haven’t had the chance to complete their 2020 census, the deadline to complete the survey has been extended to September 30.
Here a few quick facts on the census and why it’s IMPORTANT to fill it out:
- Population numbers derived from the decennial census are used to distribute over $6 billion in federal funds to Kansas every year.
- Every uncounted person costs the state of Kansas approximately $2,082 in federal funding.
- Census data is used to determine federal, state and local voting districts.
- Government, businesses and other stakeholders use census data for infrastructure and transportation planning; emergency preparedness, disaster relief, education funding, health tracking and disease control, and a multitude of other things.
- Businesses and government agencies consider population trends when choosing places to locate, which in turn boosts economic growth.
- As the census is only a once-every-10-years process, it is crucial to get the count right. If Kansas is under counted we will be shortchanged for a decade.
For more information on the census, visit www.kansascounts.org.
To complete the census, visit here.