Garden City Community College is offering a mix of classroom delivery styles this fall to maximize the health and safety of students, employees, and visitors to campus.
This includes fully on-ground courses, fully online courses, and at least four other hybrid course options that will utilize both face-to-face instruction coupled with online learning, according to Vice President for Instructional Services Marc Malone.
Fall classes begin August 17, Sept. 8, and Oct. 12, and enrollment is now open for all fall sessions. Students can call 620-276-7611, email email@example.com, or visit www.gcccks.edu to get started.
“We’re standing by to help students find the options that best fit their needs. Students who prefer fully-online have options. Students that need a face-to-face option have that choice, too,” Malone said. “We’re also working to enhance our 13-week classes that start the week of Sept. 7. It’s absolutely not too late for students to enroll and take advantage of these or any of our fall class offerings.”
In addition to these flexible start dates, students can choose to customize their schedules in a way that best fits their educational and health needs in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
They can do so by enrolling in any of the following classroom options, all of which will prioritize social distancing inside classrooms and other learning or training spaces:
- Buster Classic: Students will attend classes in person on every scheduled day. These courses are limited to those very small in size or for technical courses where appropriate safety practices can easily be implemented.
- Buster Online: Students will work independently in an online course environment. Students should log into Canvas to access their courses.
- Buster Stream: Students will attend classes only through live Zoom.
- Buster Hybrid: Students will be placed in a group. Some days students will attend class in-person, and others they will do individual course work online. Students should watch their Canvas Inbox and email for notifications about when to attend class.
- Buster Hybrid Enhanced: Students will be placed in a group. Some days students will attend class in-person or through live Zoom, and others they will do individual course work online. Students should watch their Canvas Inbox and email for notifications about when to attend class.
- Buster Stream/Flex: Students will be placed in a group. Some days some students will attend class in-person and others through live Zoom. Watch Canvas Inbox and your student email for notifications about when to attend class.
Students who are already enrolled for Fall 2020 can review their course schedules on Busterweb to determine how their classrooms will be set up.
They can also expect to hear from their instructors by Aug. 12 regarding specific classroom delivery instructions and expectations via Canvas.
Students who are not enrolled can review course descriptions online or speak to a GCCC academic advisor for more information.
“We have a fall semester that looks unlike any fall semester in 100 years at GCCC, but through that struggle, we’ve worked to balance health and safety with opportunities for high-quality learning,” Malone added.
In addition to increased fall classroom options, GCCC is also making it easier for students to complete distance or online learning by offering a free laptop loan initiative program.
New or returning students who need access to a reliable computer and software to start, continue, or complete their studies can apply online for consideration: https://www.gcccks.edu/covid-19/laptop_program.aspx.
Both part-time and full-time students enrolled this Fall 2020 can apply but must be degree- or certificate-seeking to qualify.
In addition this fall, GCCC will be pausing most all face-to-face instruction on Nov. 20, prior to a week-long Thanksgiving holiday (Nov. 21-29). This will limit students leaving and returning to campus to complete the fall semester.
Most all courses, with the exception of a few technical programs, will resume online starting Nov. 30 through Dec. 4, 2020. Finals weeks, which is scheduled from Dec. 7-10, will be held remotely for most students.
For additional details, please review our full 2020-21 academic calendar online: https://www.gcccks.edu/academics/academic_calendar.aspx.