The Finney County Clerk’s Office is reminding voters and potential candidates that the deadline to file to run for office, and the deadline to switch party affiliation before the August primary, is noon this Friday, June 1.
Kansas law passed in 2014 prohibits registered voters already affiliated with a party from changing their affiliation between June 1 and the date when the results from the August primary are certified. As a result, party members will not be allowed to switch their affiliation after noon Friday.
A registered voter who is unaffiliated may, however, affiliate with a party either during this time period, when voting at the primary, or when requesting an advance ballot.
Candidates planning to run for any local office in this year’s election must bring a photo ID to the Finney County Clerk’s Office, 311 N. Ninth St., Garden City, and fill out all necessary paperwork by noon Friday. Filing fee amounts depend on the office for which the candidate is running. Contact the Finney County Clerk’s Office for more information on filing fees.
Three county commission seats are on the ballot. All three incumbents have filed for reelection, including Lon Pishny in District 1, William Clifford in District 4, and Larry Jones in District 5. So far, all three incumbents are running unopposed.
Finney County is comprised of seven townships, each one with their own elected clerk. All seven clerk offices are up for nomination in this year’s primary. For a full list of local and state offices up for nomination and election in the August primary, please contact the Clerk’s Office.
Candidates planning to run for state offices must file directly with the Secretary of State. All Kansas House of Representative seats will be on the ballot.
Current area filings according to the Kansas Secretary of State’s office include:
- District 122: Russ Jennings, Republican, Lakin.
- District 123: John Wheeler, Republican, Garden City; Pedro Rodriguez, Democrat, Garden City.
- District 125: Shannon Francis, Republican, Liberal.
- District 119: Bradley Ralph, Republican, Dodge City.
- District 118: Don Hineman, Republican, Dighton.
- District 117: Leonard Mastroni, Republican, La Crosse.
- District 116: Kyle Hoffman, Republican, Coldwater.
- District 115: Boyd Orr, Republican, Fowler.
- District 124: Jeffrey G. Locke, Republican, Sublette; Marty Long, Republican, Ulysses.
The primary election is Aug. 7. The general election will be Nov. 6.